Summer Motorcycle Safety Awareness
Now that summer is in full swing, more people are hitting the open road on their motorcycles. For many, riding is a great way to relax, sightsee, and spend time with friends and loved ones. With its warm weather and fantastic beaches, Florida is a motorcycle hotspot.
Because there are so many bikes on the roads, it’s important for all motorists to watch out for motorcycles. Furthermore, motorcyclists should take safety precautions every time they ride. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the number of deaths on motorcycles was more than 26 times the number for cars in 2013. That same year, motorcycle crashes were responsible for 13 percent of all motor vehicle accidents.
Motorcycle Safety Tips
Responsible riding can keep everyone safer on the road. Whether you’re a “weekend warrior” or use a motorcycle as your primary transport, there are several things you can do to stay safer on your bike:
- Wear appropriate safety gear, including a helmet.
- Maintain your bike and perform thorough maintenance after removing your motorcycle from storage.
- Observe the speed limit at all times.
- Whenever possible, make eye contact with other motorists to ensure they see you.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Watch for other vehicles’ blind spots and stay out of them. This is especially important when riding near a tractor-trailer, as semi-trucks have numerous large blind spots.
- Give other vehicles plenty of space.
- Check the weather before you ride.
- Drive defensively, not aggressively.
Florida Personal Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle-related accident, it’s important to speak to an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer can inform you of your options and help you determine the next steps in your case. Call Emerson Straw, PL at (727) 821-1500 to speak to an attorney about your case.