Circumcisions are common procedures in the United States, with one in every three men undergoing this treatment at some point in their lives. While a circumcision is considered a low-risk surgery, mistakes during this procedure can be devastating for the patient. If you have found yourself in this situation, our penis injury attorneys in St. Petersburg, Florida can review your case in a free consultation.
We can help you determine whether the doctor or medical facility was negligent. If so, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact us today at (727) 821-1500 to find out more.
Common Injuries Caused by Circumcision Errors
Whether due to religious reasons or to address medical concerns, many infants are circumcised in the United States every year. However, adults may also opt to undergo this procedure to alleviate a variety of health issues. While errors are rare, it’s possible for even an experienced healthcare provider to cause serious damage to the genitals and reproductive system. This is where a circumcision attorney in St. Petersburg, Florida can help.
Common injuries can include:
- Meatal Stenosis: A botched circumcision can lead to the urethral opening narrowing, causing pain during urination and sex.
- Infection of the Penis: If the healthcare provider or religious cantor responsible for performing the procedure used unsterilized equipment—such as a scalpel that wasn’t cleaned properly—this could lead to an infection of the urinary tract or at the area of circumcision. Infections can cause inflammation, pain and suffering, discomfort, and—in extreme cases—the loss of this sexual organ.
- Excessive Bleeding: If the individual performing the circumcision isn’t careful, he or she could perforate the organ and cause damage to the urinary tract, leading to excessive bleeding.
- Permanent Disfigurement: A botched circumcision could cause scarring, which can be humiliating for the patient.
- Impotence: Complications due to circumcision errors could leave the patient unable to get an erection. Additionally, the patient may experience pain during sex and/or unable to perform sexually.
- Necrosis: Complications stemming from the procedure could lead to penile tissue damage which—in a worst-case scenario—may even result in the loss of the penis.
Questions to Ask During Your Consultation with a Penis Injury Attorney
Sitting down with an attorney will give you a chance to vet the type of legal representation they provide. As such, it pays to come prepared. Asking the right questions can give you insight into whether a lawyer is suited to handle your claim or if you’re better off looking elsewhere.
Below are a few questions you might want to ask during your initial consultation with a circumcision lawyer in St. Petersburg, Florida:
- Have You Handled Cases Similar to Mine? Not all law firms have the resources and experience to succeed in complex penis injury claims. While personal injury cases share many of the same elements, pursuing damages for a botched circumcision may require a different approach to a slip and fall accident or car wreck. As such, it might be in your best interests to hire an attorney who has had success resolving cases similar to your own in the past. He or she will have knowledge of the relevant case law, statutes, and tested strategies to win such cases.
- Do You Have Litigation Experience? While most personal injury claims are resolved before the latter stages of litigation, if negotiations are unsuccessful, your claim could proceed to trial. As such, it is in your best interests to have a seasoned litigator by your side. An attorney with trial experience will know what it takes to succeed in court and can guide you through this difficult stage of proceedings. At Emerson Straw PL, we’ve won numerous claims and lawsuits, helping our clients secure more than $27 million in financial awards.
- What Is the Most Likely Outcome? Some attorneys will tell you exactly what you want to hear; others may even promise a particular outcome for your case. However, penis injury claims can be incredibly complex, so there’s no way to predict exactly how your case will unfold, let alone the amount you might receive. At Emerson Straw, we take an honest approach to assessing claims. While we can’t promise you a specific monetary amount—no law firm can—we can answer your questions, highlight the strengths and weaknesses of your case, and discuss potential outcomes.
- Can I Contact You Directly If Any Issues Arise? With your financial future at stake, it can be frustrating when your calls, texts, and emails go unanswered. We understand that an attentive attorney can mean the difference between peace of mind and feeling overwhelmed. As such, we strive to respond to all inquiries in a timely manner. You will have a direct line to your attorney who will make sure to answer your questions and provide regular updates on the progress of your case.
How Our Lawyers Can Assist with Your Claim
In some personal injury cases, hiring an attorney isn’t very important, but this does not apply to medical malpractice cases. These are almost always complex, and the defense typically has seasoned attorneys ready to dispute your claim.
Here are a few ways our penis injury lawyers might be able to assist with your claim:
- Correspond with Opposing Parties: Corresponding directly with opposing parties, whether it’s your healthcare provider or their insurer, could open the door to potential disputes when you file your claim. For instance, the insurance company may reach out for a statement to hear your side of the story. However, these “interviews” are often set up to coerce claimants into making comments that could be used as ammunition to dispute liability and damages. When you hire one of our attorneys, they will handle all dialogue with opposing parties so you won’t have to worry about saying something that could harm your claim.
- Conduct an In-Depth Investigation: Contrary to popular belief, medicine isn’t an exact science. Doctors often work as detectives, using the patient’s symptoms and lab results to whittle down the list of potential diagnoses to arrive at an accurate conclusion. As such, medical malpractice cases often require testimony from various specialists in addition to diagnostic images, medical records, and relevant studies. While the average person doesn’t have the time or resources to conduct a thorough investigation, a seasoned attorney will. When you hire one of our lawyers, you won’t just receive compassionate representation but will also gain access to our significant resources.
- Estimate a Fair Settlement: Damages in a penis injury claim aren’t just limited to the numbers printed on your invoices and receipts. While your medical bills will likely make up a significant portion of the potential recovery, it’s possible you incurred a wide range of additional costs that are easy to overlook. For instance, if you were unable to work due to your injuries, you may be able to seek compensation for lost wages. Alternatively, if your injuries caused you to experience considerable pain and suffering, your attorney might be able to build a case for non-economic damages. Our attorneys can help track your injury-related expenses and estimate a fair settlement for the damages you’ve incurred.
- Negotiate a Settlement: Claims adjusters aren’t just glorified “bean counters” who spend their days staring at spreadsheets and crunching numbers. Most are professional negotiators who may convince you that a subpar sum is a generous settlement. Hiring a Florida penis injury attorney can help you level the playing field. Our lawyers are familiar with the types of strategies employed by insurance companies during negotiations, and we won’t let even the savviest claims adjuster lure you into accepting an unfair offer.
Common Terms You May Encounter During Your Penis Injury Case
Making sense of the claims process and legal proceedings is a daunting prospect. After all, it takes lawyers years to understand relevant statutes and case law for a given practice area. Fortunately, when you hire an attorney, he or she will handle the logistics of your case so you can focus on other matters. However, it may help to learn a few key terms so that you have a better understanding of how your circumcisions injury case may unfold.
Here are a few terms you may encounter when you file your claim:
- Damages: Simply put, damages refer to the losses you’ve incurred as a direct result of your injuries. In a circumcision error case, damages could encompass everything from your medical bills to lost wages.
- Duty of Care: A healthcare provider has a legal obligation to act with a reasonable degree of care and skill. This is known as a duty of care. To sue someone for damages, you need to prove that they owed you this duty. Fortunately, if your procedure was performed by a physician or medical facility, a duty of care is established expressly as part of a formal doctor/patient relationship.
- Breach of Duty: Keep in mind, just because a procedure didn’t result in the outcome you expected, this doesn’t mean the doctor was negligent. To build a medical malpractice case, you must be able to demonstrate that your doctor deviated from the accepted standards of care—i.e. that he or she breached the duty of care you were owed.
- Causation: While your doctor may have behaved recklessly and you suffered damages, you will not receive a financial award unless you can show that your physician’s breach is directly responsible for the losses you incurred. This “link” is referred to as causation.
Contact Us Today to Speak to a Penis Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, Florida
If you were permanently injured because someone failed to act with reasonable care, turn to the attorneys at Emerson Straw PL. Our legal team has more than 40 years of combined experience representing the injured and their loved ones. Call (727) 821-1500 or complete our Contact Form to set up a free consultation with a penis injury attorney in Florida.