A genital injury can have serious ramifications for both your physical and emotional well-being. Damage to reproductive organs can lead to pain and suffering, affect your relationships, and—in some situations—make it impossible to reproduce. Our genital injury attorneys in St. Petersburg, Florida represent both male and female clients who have suffered harm through the negligence or malicious actions of others.
We can answer your questions, explain how your case might unfold, and represent you and your family during proceedings. Call (727) 821-1500 to discuss your options with a member of our legal team.
Common Types of Genital Injuries
Genital injuries are a sensitive subject for most; a condition few of us want to think about, let alone experience. However, these types of injuries are more prevalent than you might expect. Whether due to blunt-force trauma, a botched surgery, or defective product, there are many ways these sensitive organs can become damaged. This is where a genital injury attorney in St. Petersburg, Florida may be able to help.
Below are a few common types of genital injuries for both men and women:
- Vaginal Rejuvenation Injuries: Vaginal rejuvenation is a term used by cosmetic surgery and medical device industries to describe non-surgical procedures—such as lasers—designed to treat conditions related to vaginal discomfort such as laxity, itching, dryness, or atrophy, in addition to pain during urination or sex. You may see these procedures referred to as “revirgination,” cosmetic gynecology, designer vaginal surgery, female genital plastic surgery, or G-spot amplification. However, laser and energy-based devices used for these procedures have not been cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Adverse effects of these procedures can include scarring, pain during sex, loss of sensation, dryness, vaginal burns, and sexual dysfunction.
- Circumcision Error: Whether it’s for religious reasons or medical concerns, thousands of people undergo circumcisions in the country every year. Circumcision involves removing the skin covering the tip of the penis and is usually performed on infants—but some adults opt for this procedure later in life. While mistakes are rare, errors do still happen leading to serious complications for the patients. Common signs of a botched circumcision include infection, inflammation, excessive bleeding, permanent disfigurement, impotence, or loss of the sexual organ.
- Accident-Related Injuries: Whiplash, spinal cords injuries, broken bones; these are just a few of the injuries that come to mind when we think of a road wreck or slip and fall. However, some victims sustain serious genital injuries that can cause permanent scarring, disfigurement, and other complications. For instance, in a bicycle accident the victim’s genitals may be irreparably crushed leading to infertility.
- Sports Injury: Defective sports equipment may be a staple in YouTube’s most-watched “gym fails” compilations, but the harm these tools can cause when they fail is no laughing matter. For instance, a defective exercycle can lead to trauma to the groin area. In some cases, this damage may be permanent. Manufacturers have a responsibility to ensure that their sports equipment is both safe and correctly labelled to prevent injuries. If their negligence caused you harm, you may have grounds for a product liability claim.
- Catheter Injuries: It’s estimated that more than half of catharized hospital patients experience a complication, according to a study published in JAMA Internal Medicine. While most health issues stemming from the use of a catheter are not serious, in some cases the genital area or urinary tract can become infected. Once the catheter is removed, some patients may experience issues with urinating and sexual function.
How Much Is My Claim Worth?
From medical expenses and prescription medication to lost wages and alternative transportation, a serious injury can lead to a slew of unanticipated costs. As such, many victims are eager to find out what their personal injury claims might be worth. After all, knowing exactly how much you might receive could provide some peace of mind during this challenging chapter of your life.
Unfortunately, it’s impossible to predict how a personal injury claim will unfold. In some situations, you may face little resistance from the insurer and walk away with a settlement not long after initiating the claims process. In others—especially if you are seeking a significant sum—your claim may become a protracted legal battle that takes months or well over a year to resolve.
At Emerson Straw PL, our genital injury lawyers in St. Petersburg, Florida can assess your claim and conduct an in-depth investigation to estimate the value of the losses you’ve incurred. Below are a few factors we may consider:
- Medical Expenses: Genital injuries can be expensive to treat—especially if you’re likely to suffer long-term complications. Whether you were admitted to the hospital, had to shell out for physical therapy, or required lab tests, many of these costs could be factored into your personal injury claim. Your lawyer will want to review your medical records to determine the severity of your condition, identify the liable parties, and estimate the value of your damages. He or she may consult with medical experts who can provide deposition regarding your condition and the procedures you might require in the future.
- Pain and Suffering: The groin is a sensitive region of the body. As such, serious injuries can lead to considerable pain and suffering. While the psychological effects of your condition are not objectively verifiable, they can have a significant impact on your quality of life. As a plaintiff in a personal injury case, you have a right to seek damages for the humiliation, mental anguish, and agony you’ve experienced due to a genital injury. Your attorney may ask you to start a personal injury journal to make notes on your pain levels, symptoms, and medication side effects.
- Loss of Consortium: A genital injury can permanently affect sexual function or cause pain during sexual intercourse. Understandably, these side effects can put immense strain on your relationship with your spouse. Some victims choose to pursue compensation for loss of consortium which can include the loss of services, love, or sexual relations of a spouse. Such claims can be initiated by both the victim and their uninjured spouse against the liable parties. For instance, if you suffered a genital injury due to defective gym equipment that affected your relationship with your wife, she might file a loss of consortium claim against the manufacturer.
- Lost Income: If you were unable to work due to the genital injury, these lost wages may be recoverable as part of your claim. If your condition is likely to impede your ability to earn a living in the future, your attorney may be able to build a strong case for loss of future wages. He or she may call on economists and vocational experts to provide deposition regarding the value of such damages and why your injuries make it difficult or impossible for you to return to work.
- Punitive Damages: If the defendant showed a reckless disregard for your health or intentionally caused you harm, you may receive a punitive damages award. Unlike compensatory damages—which are designed to help restore the plaintiff to the same financial position they were in before suffering the injury—punitive damages are meant as a punishment to deter the defendant and others from engaging in similar negligent behavior.
How Our Attorneys Can Assist with Your Case
If you’re planning to file a personal injury claim after suffering a genital injury, you may be considering hiring an attorney to assist with your case. However, identifying the right person for the job is no easy task. There can be a world of difference between the type of representation two attorneys provide. Some lawyers simply don’t have the resources, experience, or knowledge to adequately represent your best interests.
Here are a few qualities that help set our law firm apart from others:
- Relevant Experience: Personal injury law encompasses everything from car wrecks to medical malpractice. While these claims share many common elements, a genital injury case may require an entirely different approach to a slip and fall accident. As such, it’s important to find an attorney who has experience overseeing similar claims to your own. Our attorneys have more than 40 years of combined experience representing the injured and their families. During this time, we’ve expanded our areas of knowledge to include road accidents, medical malpractice, wrongful deaths, premises liability, product liability, spinal cord injuries, and many other types of claims.
- Confidence to Proceed to Trial: While most personal injury claims are resolved out of court, there’s always a chance that your claim will take this next legal step. As such, hiring a Florida genital injury attorney with trial experience can ensure that you and your family are ready to see the case through to the end. At Emerson Straw PL, we’ve helped our clients obtain several multi-million-dollar verdicts.
- Access to Highly Qualified Experts: In a genital injury claim, deposition from financial and medical experts could play a critical role in helping you achieve a favorable outcome. Our attorneys have forged strong connections with experts including economists, vocational experts, and medical specialists.
Contact Us Today to Connect with a Genital Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, Florida
Suffering a genital injury can be debilitating, painful, and humiliating. If another party was responsible for your injuries, you have a right to seek compensation. At Emerson Straw PL, we can discuss your situation and help determine the most strategic way to proceed with your claim. Call (727) 821-1500 or tap through to our Contact Form to schedule a free case review.