If you have been involved in an auto accident in Bradenton, Florida, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure about what to do next. Working with a Bradenton car accident attorney from Emerson Straw Injury Law can help you navigate your legal options after a car crash and pursue financial compensation from the driver responsible for your injuries.
Why You Should Work With a Bradenton Car Accident Attorney
If you suffer injuries in a car collision, you may incur costly damages, such as medical bills and lost wages. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles requires all drivers to carry a minimum of $10,000 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) to pay for medical bills resulting from an accident.
If your damages exceed this threshold, you can seek a settlement from the at-fault driver’s liability insurance. An experienced Bradenton car accident attorney can help you file a compensation claim and use the following skills to win your car accident case:
- Legal expertise. Our car accident attorneys have extensive knowledge of the legal system, including personal injury law, insurance law, and civil litigation. We can use this expertise to navigate the legal process and protect your rights.
- Investigative skills. The car accident lawyers at Emerson Straw Injury Lawyer are trained to investigate your accident’s circumstances, including gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. We will use this information to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Negotiation skills. Car accident attorneys at our law firm have experience negotiating with insurance companies and other parties involved in your case. Our lawyers will work to negotiate a fair settlement offer, helping you maximize your compensation.
- Courtroom experience: If your case goes to trial, a Bradenton car accident lawyer can represent you in court and present your case to a judge or jury. Our legal team is experienced in personal injury trials and will gather evidence such as witness statements, videos, and expert testimony to prove your case.
After being injured in a Bradenton car accident, your attorney from Emerson Straw Injury Law will help you investigate the incident to determine what caused the collision, the extent of your damages, and who can be held liable for the crash. This process helps your attorney recover damages for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and emotional losses you suffered due to the accident.
A car accident lawyer near you will gather evidence for your claim, such as police reports and medical records, and collect witness statements, camera footage, and pictures of the incident. Your lawyer will carefully review this information to understand what happened and who may be at fault.
Your attorney may work with accident reconstructionists to determine the accident’s cause and assess your damages. For example, an accident reconstruction expert may use computer simulations or physical models to recreate the accident scene and identify factors contributing to the crash, such as distracted driving or faulty brakes. They will use this data to build a strong case to win compensation.
Types of Damages You Can Recover in a Settlement
A Bradenton car accident attorney can help you recover damages after a collision in Manatee county through a car insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Possible damages include economic, non-economic, and punitive awards.
- Economic. Economic damages are measurable losses you suffer from the accident. They include lost income, medical expenses, and property damage. Your attorney will gather all medical records, W2s, repair bills, and other documents to calculate your economic losses.
- Non-economic. Non-economic damages are non-quantifiable losses you have suffered due to the crash, such as emotional distress, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. Florida does not have a cap on the amount of non-economic damages you can win. Your attorney will use the standard multiplier or per diem formulas to calculate your intangible losses based on your economic damages.
Punitive. In Florida, a judge or jury may award punitive damages to punish the at-fault driver for their negligence or reckless behavior. The state allows punitive damages if the negligent party committed intentional misconduct or gross negligence.
To prove punitive damages, your attorney can look for evidence showing the at-fault party knew their actions would cause injury or acted with reckless disregard for others’ safety. For example, your attorney can gather BAC test results showing they were intoxicated and chose to drive.
Florida typically caps punitive damages at $500,000 or three times your compensatory damages, whichever is greater.
Navigating Pure Comparative Fault
Florida uses pure comparative fault to determine damage awards. Under pure comparative fault, you can win damages even if you are partially liable for the accident; however, your compensation is reduced by any percentage of fault you have in the collision.
For example, if you win $20,000, but the jury finds you 10% responsible for your injuries because you were speeding, you would only receive $18,000. A Bradenton car accident attorney near you will present evidence to lower your percentage of fault and get you the highest award possible.
Contact a Bradenton Car Accident Attorney
Recovering compensation after a collision in an accident claim can help you pay bills and get your life back to normal. Our law firm is dedicated to helping Bradenton residents receive fair compensation after a negligent driver causes an injury and will work with you to file your claim, negotiate with the insurance company, or represent you in court if necessary.
Contact our Bradenton car accident attorneys for a free consultation to review your legal options and start your case.