At Emerson Straw, we are aware of the detrimental effects of distracted driving. In recent years, technological advancements have provided breakthroughs in science and exploration. These advancements have also created a world where cell phones have seemingly endless capabilities. Sometimes the temptation to use a smart phone while driving is too powerful, and the choice to do so has tragic results. As personal injury lawyers, we work with victims who have fallen subject to injuries due to the negligence of others caused by texting and driving. This negligence endangers, harms, and kills millions of innocent lives each year. We believe that in a society of change-makers, we can put an end to this destructive habit.
This year, we are excited to announce The Texting and Driving Prevention Scholarship. This $1,000 scholarship opportunity aims to generate innovative and creative solutions to the age-old problem of distracted driving. In a 750-word essay, please discuss the ways in which you prevent yourself and others from texting and driving. In addition to discussing your personal relationship with this issue, please offer prevention tips and solutions for texting and driving to help increase the safety of drivers and pedestrians alike.
In order to be eligible for The Texting and Driving Prevention scholarship, students must meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled or about to attend an accredited community college, undergraduate, or graduate program within the United States.
- Have a minimum current GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Please include the following documents:
- Resume including contact information
- Current academic transcript including a cumulative GPA. (First year students may submit unofficial transcripts from their accredited institution. If a student is not currently enrolled in an accredited university, we ask that the candidate provide proof of acceptance to their future college or university)
- 750-word original essay: Discuss the ways that you personally prevent texting while driving as the laws in place are not 100% effective. What steps do you take that you feel others should be taking as well? How do you plan on spreading these ideas?
All scholarship application materials must be submitted via email to email@example.com by September 30, 2019. Please submit materials with the subject line “[Applicant’s name] – The Texting and Driving Prevention Scholarship”.
The final scholarship award will be chosen based on the criteria set forth above. The scholarship winner will be determined at the discretion of Emerson Straw.
By applying for this scholarship, applicants acknowledge that all essays submitted will become the property of Emerson Straw. Emerson Straw reserves the right to publish any or all portions of the essays on its website or other electronic publications and social media outlets.